Can anyone help me in getting the Lightbox feature to work?

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:57 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I've installed Designit Video Embed and have successfully used it to embed a video, but for reasons unknown, the Lightbox feature is very inconsistent and I'm getting errors in my browser.  These aren't fatal errors that prevent the video from playing, but errors I'd rather not have.

There was a point where I had the lightbox feature working in IE and Firefox, but then it stopped working in Firefox shortly afterwards after I tried some other things to get rid of the error I was seeing.  Here's a post I tried making on the Umbraco forum before coming here to describe it.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/9559-Error-on-page-using-DesignIt-Video-Embed-package

I didn't get any response to that post, so I've tried doing other things myself.  Now I've lost Lightbox functionality altogether again.  In IE, I'm now getting the following error when I try to play the video:

Line: 17
Error: 'u' is null or not an object

and it plays opening in full screen mode instead of in the lightbox.

I followed the video instructions for setting it up but wasn't getting the Lightbox working correctly, so I started adding <script> lines to the <head> as it seemed like it might be helpful.  Some things work somewhat, but I still haven't gotten it to where the videos open in a lightbox in both IE and Firefox. (correction: haven't gotten it to work without also having errors)

Any help you can provide in getting this working will be GREATLY appreciated.

 

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2010 at 8:30 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Using the umbraco jquery isn't enough, since the version is to low. Try to manually add jQuery version 1.4.2 or higher

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I've never done anything manually with jQuery before. Is that difficult? Is there no way to just update what's in Umbraco to get it working?
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Add this line to your head section instead of the umbraco jquery include

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Oh, I didn't realize it was only the one script.  I was thinking I might need to download and install a program.

I tried your line and I've also added the script manually to our site.

Still not working.  Same errors.

The page I'm working on is here:

http://www.fyccn.org

Can you take a look and see if you can easily spot what I'm doing wrong?  This one has been frustrating me for many hours.  I had it working in both browsers briefly, but with the jquery not defined error.  Now I can't get it working in either browser and I'm not sure what I've done wrong with it.

 

 

 

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Not that I think it makes any difference, but it seems like you're inserting the /css/Designit.VideoEmbed/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.css stylesheet manually. Try to remove that, as the package does that automatically.

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM

The following HTML errors might be the case:

Somehow you got a </asp:ContentPlaceHolder> in the rendered HTML
You also got a form tag, that's closed to soon: </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
The type attribute is missing: <script src="http://widgets.twimg.com/j/2/widget.js">
The type attribute is missing:
<script>
134
</script>
There's one too many end divs (</div>) in your html.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM

The fancybox stylesheet matter was something I tried after the errors were happening.  I was pretty much trying everything I could think of hoping something would work.  I found a reference to that somewhere and decided to see if putting that in there would make it work.

I'll check out all the HTML errors.  That </asp:ContentPlaceHolder> one seems like the strongest candidate for causing problems.  The twitter code is from Twitter so I hope that's not the culprit.  What's that 134 thing?

I'll check the divs.

Thanks for the info and I'll let you know if resolving any of these issues proves to be the fix for this.

 

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I think I got it.

I took out all the references to Designit Video Embed files that I had in the <head> tag and it started working.   I'm confused by that because the only reason I put those there in the first place was because it wasn't working initially.  That was something I tried to see if I could get it to work.  I didn't know that the package automatically adds the files and figured I'd try it to see if it would solve what was happening.

As long as it's working now, I'll just be happy for that.

Thanks a bunch for the help.  I'll let you know if it changes again.